Park Berg en Bos, Apeldoorn

Park Berg en Bos, Apeldoorn
Prachtig uitzicht op park Berg en Bos

maandag 8 oktober 2012

Ships voor Sepia Saturday 146


This is a post for Sepia Saturday 146.
 
 
 
I’m late this week because we’ve been a long weekend out. I’ve picked 3 photos to share with you.
 
1951 05 14. Sch 69 sailing out.
 
Once a year Scheveningen celebrates Vlaggetjesdag//Flags Feast, to start the herring season.
This feast was dated on the Saturday before Pentecost and the most important event (for me) on that day was the short cruise with fishing boats along the shore. If you were lucky, you was allowed to come on board and enjoy the cruise.
 
 
1951 05 14. Enjoying the cruise.

That little girl is me. I know my Dad is on this ship too, but he is not visible on this photo. I don’t remember the other people.

1956 05 21b Flags Day in Scheveningen Harbour.jpg

This photo shows Scheveningen Harbour on Flags Feast 1956. You can see all the big and small flags decorating the ships.
 
 
More ships at this link to Sepia Saturday 146.

7 opmerkingen:

Jana Last zei

Wonderful photos! You looked so happy to be in that boat.

Wendy zei

From the number of people in the photos, it looks like the beginning of herring season was a fun time for everyone. The look on your face says it all.

Mike Brubaker zei

A good choice for the theme. They seem very stout boats, suitable for rough seas, but I hope they gave them a good cleaning before taking passengers!

Prenter zei

@Thanks, Jana. I remember I was happy and enjoying the first cruise of my live. Always liked cruises after this first one.

@Thanks, Wendy. The start of the herring season meant the end of a cold winter and an empty purse. All adults were hopeful and happy, so were the kids.

@Thanks, Mike. During the winter there was plenty of time for a good cleaning of the boats and all the chores were done.

Peter zei

Thanks for the memory!

Titania zei

A beautiful fest and tradition to show of the boats in a festive mood with all the flags. I hope you had a chance for a cruise on this traditional day when you were a child.

Prenter zei

@Peter and @Titania. The photos bring back the good memories of this cruise and all the cruises there after. This was a good start. Thanks for your comments.