zaterdag 27 oktober 2012

Traveling for Sepia Saturday 149


This is a post for Sepia Saturday 149. 
 
 
The prompt picture shows a tour group traveling. My post tells about our trip to Texel in 1962. We are with six of us: Dad, Mom, Corry, I, Albertine and Jan Kees. Our sister Anneke is on holiday to Austria. We take turns to write down in a brown school notebook about what we are doing and experiencing.
 
1962 07 Ferry to Texel.
 
We traveled on bike to Den Helder. In Den Helder the harbor was terribly busy and Mom thought we had to wait until the evening. A pessimistic gentleman said, however, that it could be tomorrow afternoon. But they were both wrong, because we were all in the second boat. Being below deck we noticed really not much of the voyage. There was only one beautiful sight from a porthole, where we could see the sun shining on the sea. Then we saw land, though it took a while before we were in the harbor. We went quickly our bikes retrieve and we cycled away to Cocksdorp, wonderfully fast because we had tailwind.
 
 
1962 07 Map of Texel
 
When we got at the campsite Mom went grocery shopping with Corry and Jan Kees. Dad, Albertine and I had to put up the tents, which was hampered by the wind. Especially the big tent was very difficult. When we had done 2 tents, still 1 to do, the grocery brigade came back with their hands loaded with food. Mum started cooking while we put up the last tent. Dinner time! We were hungry from the tiring day and we found it very tasty.
 
 
 
1962 07 Texel Cocksdorp lighthouse

After dinner we took a walk, because Jan Kees wanted to see the sea again. We walked over an hour and we saw not only the sea but also three lighthouses, those of Texel right near us, Den Helder in the west and Terschelling in the east. On the way back we walked briskly and we were already back in half an hour. In the tent Mama was waiting with a milk bottle to open, while the bottle opener was in my pocket. I gave it quickly and not long after we got coffee. We were very tired and despite the roar of the wind we soon fell asleep.
 

1962 07 Dad, sister, Mom, brother, sister.
 
We were quite late in the morning and lazed around all morning. The weather was not too good and we were tired. 
 
 
1962 07 Dad, brother, sisters and me, playing a ballgame.
In the afternoon Dad, Corry and Jan Kees made a walk to the Slufter dune valley.
Albertine and I walked together towards the lighthouse. We walked on a winding bike path through the dunes. With a flora treatise at hand we tried to identify some plants. We saw lady’s bedstraw and carline thistle; bittersweet grew between blackberry bushes. There were many oystercatchers to hear and see. Besides the gulls I saw also some herring gulls. There were little groups of starlings and a single pipit. On the dune at the entrance of the site I have seen twice a tree pipit. So we had a nice walk and I wrote everything in the travel journal.
The others came home full of stories about the Slufter dune valley. But they didn’t want to write it down. I said: “If you don’t want to write, I’ll help you, just say what I should write.” And so I began to write down what the others told me.
 
 
1962 07 Dad, sisters, brother, me. You see our 'new' chests.
 
Jan Kees: After having walked a while through the dunes, we came to the Slufter dune valley. And then I wanted no further, and Corry stayed with me. And then Dad looked around and came back. When he came to me, he grumbled.
Dad interrupts: But he didn’t want to go!!!
Jan Kees: We came to the sheep and the puddles.
Dad: Mud and ditches.
Jan Kees: We had to jump over the ditches and where we could not, we had to wade through or going closer to the sea.
Dad: I thought that might be better.
Jan Kees: You saw all that seaweed.
Dad: It flowed so strong.
Jan Kees: The water flowed through the Slufter to the sea.
Albertine: Very strong.
Jan Kees: So strong that you couldn’t wade through it. And you have nothing to do with it, Albertine. Let’s see, then we went back.
Dad: We went upstream, until we arrived at a fordable place, but the water was still on our knees.
Jan Kees: Corry wanted to cross a deep place, but Dad shouted: Stop, you can’t go there! Come this way!
Albertine to me: You must write with fire!
Corry: I had to walk on tiptoe.
Jan Kees: On the other side the sand was filled with shells.
Dad: Full, full.
Jan Kees: Further along the beach it was full of wreck wood and chests.
Dad: And bottles, sniff, sniff.
Jan Kees: Dad took a chest to use as a seat. We walked back until we came on the road. So we came home.
Albertine: Ha ha ha.
Jan Kees: Oh, yes, I’ll say what we have seen on the road: a few young pheasants. End of story!
Mom: How we proceed, refer to the following chapter. Children, to the toilet and to bed, it’s already half past ten.
 
Other travel stories might be read at Sepia Saturday.

12 opmerkingen:

Karen S. zei

That is so perfect to write things down right away, so you don't forget a thing, and then go back later and enjoy your trip all over again. I really liked your ending, and their story....a great conversation they had!

Peter zei

Those are beautiful pictures! My favorite is the one with the lighthouse and all those almost vintage cars. And to still have this diary, super. I just got to Texel for the first time, it is a nice island for holidays.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy zei

Prenter, what an amazing post! Your memories and the photos are all so clear. Good thing that you wrote everything down for them. I will remember that valuable tip.

You guys carried your tents and everything on your bikes? What a trip that was, and I am so happy that you shared it all with us.

Thank you! This is another place that I have never heard of before right now.

Kathy M.

Little Nell zei

A wonderful way to record events. You make life under canvas seem like fun, though I'm still not tempted!

Bob Scotney zei

I went camping once and vowed never again as it rained from the time we arrived until we took down the tent three days later. It was so went even the worms were escaping onto the top of the groundsheet. Now I should have written about that weekend as you have done. How interesting you have made your trip down; it really enhances the photos.

barbara and nancy zei

When I was reading your post, I thought "how does she remember all those details from so long ago". Then I got to the part about your journal. How I wish I had kept journals in my youth, or at least had a sister who had. Neither of us have been very faithful with diaries or journals. And lots of those memories are sadly lost.
Nancy

Prenter zei

@Karen S. We like to reread our travel journals and to retell the family stories. Glad you liked this part.

@Peter. I expected the vintage cars to be interesting for men. I’ll keep the diary safe. We’ve spend some camping holidays on Texel and had always fun.

@Kathy M. Photos and diaries are doing a good job to keep my memories clear. The black and white photos are better left than the later color photos. Yes, we carried all our tents and stuff on our bikes. We had large double panniers on our bikes. If we were going with six cyclists, two and two together, we formed quite a large caravan. Traveling was a passion we all shared. I hope I can write more posts about our trips and I can show you more beautiful places in the Netherlands.

@Little Nell. I wouldn’t dare to tempt you to anything you don’t want. For my family, in that time, in those circumstances, it was the best way to travel and to explore the world. We always had fun, wether we were in a tent, on a boat, in a cottage, or anywhere.

@Bob. For my family the camping holidays were fine. We vowed every year to go again next year. I wouldn’t have missed it!

@Nancy. We learned traveling and journaling at the same time. You look better if you know you have to write down what you see. It is never to late to start your own journal at your next trip.

Thank you all for reading and commenting.

Wendy zei

What a great idea to take turns recording the events of the trip. It's always interesting to see what others thought was important. When my daughter and I went to Italy, we each kept a journal. It was fun to read what each other wrote because different sights or events stood out that the other had not noticed or had forgotten.

Kat Mortensen zei

How wonderful that you took the initiative to write down the stories of the day. All the details were so vivid since everyone had his own view on it.

Really enjoyed the photos and the stories.

Kathy zei

I was going to say exactly what Nancy did - just as I was amazed at your memory.... I so wish I had kept a journal - and my relatives too! I try from time to time, but always stop after a few days. These are such wonderful pictures and memories!

Mike Brubaker zei

Seems like such a beautiful place for a holiday and good memories too. I looked Texel up on Google maps and it reminds me of the Outer Banks of North Carolina which in the old days could only be reached by a ferry ride.

Prenter zei

@Wendy. Reading the other journals is a big part of the fun. It helps to keep you going.

@Kat. Thank you for your kind words. I am happy you enjoyed my post.

@Kathy. Who says you have to keep your journal day after day without skipping one single day? Reduce your challenge to a travel journal for as long als your journey lasts.

@Mike. Wow, you looked it up! You must have seen that the Netherlands has more Wadden Islands. They all are popular holiday destinations, partly because of the ferry you have to take to get there.

Thank you all for dropping in.