Park Berg en Bos, Apeldoorn

Park Berg en Bos, Apeldoorn
Prachtig uitzicht op park Berg en Bos

zaterdag 3 november 2012

Outdoor games for Sepia Saturday 150

 
This is a post for Sepia Saturday 150.
The prompt picture shows a group sporting outdoor. I’ll show you a few of our adventures about playing outdoor.
 
 
1951 06 28 My youngest sister.
 
Ideally we go to the beach. Mom takes over sandwiches in a bag and a bottle of milk. You can have fun with a beach ball or digging holes near the sea and watch the water running. You have to watch out for jellyfish, because you can be pricked. Dad has forbidden us to go too far into the sea. We are allowed to go until the water reaches to our waist and certainly no further. 
 
 
1952 05 15 Two of my sisters.
 
We live during the fifties in a quiet neighbourhood without cars and almost every day we are outside playing in the street. We like jumping rope with a very long rope, where the children take turns to jump through. If it is marble time, we each have our own bag with marbles and try to win even more marbles. We have a peg top with string and we try our toll as long as possible to run. Opposite our house is a blank wall and there you may well bounce balls, we can quickly with two balls at once. We still know how to sign a hopscotch on the side walk. The track has boxes of 1 t/m 12. You then have to throw a block on one of the boxes. When hopping from 1 to 12 you should skip that box. If you hit the lines, then you’re off.

For some games you have to sing a song, such as “Skipper I may sail on”. There is another song “Shepherd let your sheep go.” This is a question and answer denounce. Then the children walk to the other side, while the child who plays the wolf tries to catch them. 
 
 
 1952 08 08g The whole family in de woods,
picking blueberries for dessert.
Aunt Alie is the oldest sister of Mom. She has one son, John. Aunt Alie and John also go along with us on our first holiday trip to a summer cottage in Voorthuizen. Aunt Alie takes me and Albertine with her on the train. Dad and Mom travel on the bike with Corry, Anneke and John. Along the way they have a picnic at the side of the road. When they have eaten the sandwiches and want to go back on the bikes, John suddenly sees a beautiful, smooth, green path.
“What a beautiful path!” he screams and he runs towards it. He wants to walk the path, but it’s a ditch full of duckweed. He falls through it and he goes completely head under in the ditch. Dad grabs him soon at his hair and pulls him up out of the water. There John is again on the side and the water is dripping from his clothes. He cannot go cycling in these wet clothes. Mom searches the luggage to find some dry clothes: underwear, socks, a sweater and shorts.
John dresses in the dry clothes from his niece Anneke and they move on. They wait at the station for the train in which Aunt Alie, me and Albertine are traveling. Aunt Alie looks very surprised at her son John. “He has girl clothes on,” she cries. And then she hears the whole story of the beautiful path. We always remember this story when seeing a ditch full of duckweed.
 
1953 07 27b All the children and Dad.
 
To celebrate the birthday of Corry we cycle to Meyendel and our niece Berthe goes along with us. We play hide and seek again. Everyone has to hide and run away. Dad is the seeker. He counts to one hundred and then calls: “One hundred ten, who has not gone away will be seen. I’m coming!" If you’re found, then you’re off. My oldest sister is quickly found. “I see you” Dad calls and then my sister has to sit at Mom.
Dad is looking further and he shouts: “Stay where your are and do not move! Hold your breath, but do not suffocate!” Everyone is well hidden and is very quiet.
“Berthe, I see you!” That’s Dad suddenly calling. But Berthe doesn’t want to be off. She calls back loudly: “That is not me!” But unfortunately for her that trick doesn’t work. She’s off and has to sit at my Mom. It became one of the family stories and Berthe was often teased about her ‘clever’ answer. My mother used another trick to get all of us on the photo: “All of you, go sit on the trunk”. We sat long enough for her to take the photo.
 
Other game stories might be read at Sepia Saturday.

17 opmerkingen:

Helen Bauch McHargue zei

What a wonderful childhood you describe. Wonderful memories of times gone by when we. were so innocent and there seemed to be all the time in the world. Loved the funny hide and seek story and all the phoos.

Rob From Amersfoort zei

That's a funny story about the dangers of duckweed. The tree trunk seems to be magically floating in the air.

Karen S. zei

Thank you ever so much for such a delightful journey through a wonderful childhood. If they all could be this perfect. Your family photo in the forest while picking blueberries might be my most favorite of all- although they are all superb!

Bob Scotney zei

I can't confess to skipping until I took up boxing at school - then it was part of training. Marbles were very much a boys' game and hopscotch mainly for girls but your delightful stories certainly brough memories back.

Jana Last zei

Oh, what fun memories of games and family time spent together!

The Duckweed in the Ditch story is priceless. And Berthe's story is so cute!

I remember playing hide and seek as a child and I remember collecting marbles too.

Peter zei

The good old days... Do you children still play outside with marbles, whirlabouts etc.? Thanks for the memory!

Wendy zei

We have to watch out for jellyfish too at Virginia Beach. These are such fun memories and pictures.

Postcardy zei

I remember playing hopscotch, jump rope, and marbles in the 1950s.

My favorite photo is the one of all the people on the log.

Mike Brubaker zei

Getting children to stop for the camera is always hard and often too much trouble, but these were beautiful photos.

Little Nell zei

I do enjoy yur delightful photographs and anecdotes about family life. Clearly your family were well practised in the art of 'kidology'.

Prenter zei

@Helen. I share the highlights with you, to your delight and amusement.

@Rob. We were accustomed to play in the waves of the sea. But duckweed we had never seen before. The smooth surface was very misleading indeed.

@Karen S. The blueberries were new to us. They tasted delicious!

@Bob. You can skip the introduction, my best part is always in the final stretch. In Netherlands the girls are playing marbles too. I’m not sure about the boys playing hopscotch.

@Jana. I am collecting family stories and these old photos refresh my memory.

@Peter. My grandchildren are playing outside a lot. They do have marbles, but peg tops are no longer sold in the toyshops.

@Wendy. For me it was fun too to refresh my memories.

@Postcardy. I’m glad I have refreshed your memories too. Playing in the woods was a favorite of mine.

@Mike. My mother developed a few effective ways to get our picture. One way was to put us on a demarcated place, like a trunk.

@Little Nell. I googled kidology: “the art or practice of deliberately deceiving or teasing people”. I can only say that you’re absolutely right: we were such a family. Once you’ve said ‘That is not me’, you hear this the rest of your life.

Thank you all for reading and commenting.

Pat transplanted to MN zei

An idyllic post....the very first photo of the little girl is adorable. as are the kids on a log. What a story about the ditch and duckweed, I am not familiar with it!

Meri zei

Wonderful, lovely memories of childhood innocence.

Kat Mortensen zei

Now that is very interesting. Your game of "Shepherd let your sheep go" sounds very much like the game we used to play in the 1970s called, "What Time Is It Mr. Wolf". I'm sure it must have evolved from the same game.

I love your family photos; they are so idyllic.

Kat

Tattered and Lost zei

You have captured childhood perfectly. Memories all of us of certain ages share.

What memories will the kids today have? They sat in front of a computer or tv screen playing with their X-Box? They were involved in organized sports, organized dance, organized music?

Teresa Wilson Rogers zei

Wonderful childhood photos and I enjoyed your reminisces that went along with them. Family and our memories of them are so important.

Prenter zei

@Pat. We were not familiar with duckweed too, until the dive of my nephew.

@Meri. I cherish that time and those memories.

@Kat. I’m glad you recognized the Shepherd&Wolf game. It is really old and might be international.

@Tatterd and Lost. We all have memories of our childhood, some good, some bad. It helps to keep photos, diary’s, journals, etc. A shared memory is a joy forever :)

@Teresa. I agree with you. It is the history of ourselves and our family.