woensdag 30 oktober 2013

The mending workers in Scheveningen, Netherlands.





This has been a post for Sepia Saturday 160.
And now it is again for Sepia Saturday 200.
 

I’m going to tell you a story about the ladies on the wagon below. In Scheveningen they are called ‘nettenboetsters’. I didn’t find a translation, so I chose one myself ‘mending workers’. If anyone knows better, please tell me!
 
 
 1. On the wagon to the mending fields.
 
The mending or repairing of the fishnets was an important link in the fishing business in Scheveningen. Once the fleet was in the harbor, the mending workers came into action to make the nets usable again for the next voyage.
 
 
2. On the mending field 1.
 
After each trip the nets were inspected and repaired. Should the nets quickly be checked then this could be done on the port side.
 

3. On the mending field2.
 
The repairing happened on the mending fields or in the attics of the shipowners by young girls and fisherwomen. Also former fishermen who wanted to earn some extra money did this work.

4. My Aunt and my sister on the mending field in 1958.
 
It was not just young girls and women of sailors who checked and repaired the nets. The women of skippers and mates cooperated, but often as head women.
 
 
5. Demonstration activities.
Many women had other activities in addition to their role in the family, an additional income was nearly always a necessity. The repairing of nets was a hard job which was exerted by many women in Scheveningen.
 
 
6. Harbor quay; htmfoto.
 
They often had to work long and irregular. If a herring lugger sailed inside on Saturday morning, he remained 2x 24 hours in the harbor before leaving again. The women worked until all the work was done, even though that was until Saturday night around eleven thirty. On Sunday, no one worked.
 
7. At the harbor.
 
In winter the women worked on the mending attics of the shipping companies. Once spring was well in sight, the various groups of mending workers went daily to the ‘fields’. The nets to be repaired could be fully rolled out and the necessary work could be made much clearer. The women were then mending in the dunes and on the fields, nearby the water tower on the Harstenhoekweg.
 
8. Mending attic; htmfoto 1938.
 
During the activities on the attic the mending women not only worked hard, but they sang warmly. This were particularly devotional, spiritual songs. Twenty female voices echoed loudly through the attic space. All this was larded by long heard singing tones at the end of each line, as at that time was common during the singing of psalms at Scheveningen. Sailors or nets knitters, who occasionally also had to work in the attics, bravely sang with the choir in such circumstances. Perhaps that is why the fishing village still has several choirs, because it is beyond dispute: the inhabitants of Scheveningen love singing!
 
PS. The hanging white things hanging from the ceiling are not buoys, but balloons. The herring fishing was done with a ‘vleetnet’ of many kilometres length. This fishing net hangs in the water like a curtain and is being kept afloat with white balloons.
Sources:
Bal, C.: Scheveningen in oude ansichten, deel 1, 1987, blz 112.
Hoeken, Cees J. van: Schevenings goed, 1984, blz 30-35.
Noordervliet- Jol, Nel: Schevenings bezit, 2005, blz 159.
Slechte, C.H.: Scheveningen tussen twee wereldoorlogen, 1978, blz 70-72.
Spaans, Piet: Mooi-Tooi, 2001, blz 72-80.
 
Click here for more reposted stories at Sepia Saturday 200
 

14 opmerkingen:

Helen Bauch McHargue zei

I enjoyed this the first time around and just as much the second. Great post.

Jackie van Bergen zei

I missed this the first time round, so glad I got to see it.

The Silver Fox zei

Love the wagon in that second photo!

Little Nell zei

As I said the firts time this was posted - excellent research. This is a worthy contribution to the 200 and I’m glad you joined us.

Bob Scotney zei

Glad you posted this again; I have enjoyed it both times. A worthy SS200 post.

Nancy zei

It was interesting to learn about who repaired the fishing nets and to see photos. I wonder exactly how they repaired the nets, whether with twine and their fingers or whether they used a netting shuttle.... I think your post has spurred me to do a little more research. Thanks!

Wendy zei

I'm so glad you selected this post. I remember it clearly because the story was so moving.

Karen S. zei

What a delightful post and perfect edition for our book. The ladies in the wagon are just wonderful. Lovely photos and inspiring story.

Kat Mortensen zei

Wonderful post! I know that Cape Breton women would work together in a similar fashion, singing all the while. I can imagine that would really lighten the load, but what arduous work! All for herring.
Mind you, I like pickled herring myself.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy zei

Hi, Prenter! I remember this post, and it is a wonderful choice for the book. What history, and those of us who no nothing about fishing for a living learned something new.

Great job. I hope that things are going well for you.

Hugs,

Kathy M.

Prenter zei

Dear Sepians, thank you all for reading and for writing kind comments.
Hugs, Prenter.

Prenter zei

Hi, Kathy! Thank you for the positive comment to my post.
I’m still very busy to catch up with some self-imposed tasks, such as digitizing the photo albums of my parents. I had a much quieter retirement in mind when I started blogging! But sometimes I can see a glimpse of the end result and that keeps me going. Someday I will have time to read the posts from our fellow Sepians. I miss them a lot.
I hope you are doing well.
Hugs,
Prenter.

TICKLEBEAR zei

You have certainly painted an interesting picture here of a life that seems so foreign to me,
a hash life but a necessary one.
I like the idea of them singing together. Glad you explain those balloons to us.
Thanks for sharing once more!!
:)~
HUGZ

Prenter zei

I'm glad I chose this post. It's the best I've ever made. Thank you, Ticklebear, for reading and commenting.